This morning I woke up in a bad mood. My alarm clock failed and I woke up to my oldest daughter frantically telling me that she was going to be late for her cross-country practice (it starts at 6am…it was 5:55…). After sitting in the parking lot for an hour in the heat…and in my pajamas…I was ready for home, a shower & some coffee. I got home in time to realize that my husband was getting ready to leave to run errands and get groceries and I had forgotten to make out a grocery list. I quickly scan the cabinets & fridge and put one word on the list of what we need: EVERYTHING. Things are still uncertain with our income and buying groceries stresses me out…not to mention that school starts in 3 days and we hadn’t bought the first pencil or bottle of hand sanitizer. As my husband waved good-bye I turned to find both girls waiting for me to make breakfast…but there is no milk, cereal, poptarts, eggs, bread, or bacon in the house. I wanted to cry. Instead, I looked at the messy kitchen and spotted a gift from God: chocolate cake! It’s amazing what a gooey, rich, chocolaty piece of cake can do for a bad mood!
That chocolate cake reminded me that even though little things can put you in a bad mood, little things can also bring you right back to your happy place. So I began to intentionally notice the little things that I am thankful for today. Here’s what I’ve come up with so far:
* I am thankful for yummy coffee & cream to add to it
* I am thankful for my washer & dryer that work
* I am thankful for Disney princess movies- they always make me smile
* I am thankful for daughters who will watch Disney princess movies with me and sing along with all the songs…even though they believe they are too old for such things
* I am thankful for air-conditioning
* I am thankful for music- I got to listen to my youngest singing along to Mandisa’s “Good Morning” song as she cleaned her room today- so sweet!
* I am thankful for my husband who takes care of shopping for groceries & school supplies while balancing a tiny budget and a mile-long list and still takes time to text me from the store to tell me something funny he’s seen
* I am thankful for my girls being content with Wal-mart school supplies and hand-me-down clothes to start the new school year
* I am thankful for Wal-mart spiral notebooks that are currently very cheap- I use them all year long & am thinking of buying a stack and giving them to my sisters for Christmas! 😉
* I am thankful for church members who send me e-mails just to tell me what they like about me or my husband’s work on Sunday
* I am thankful for my comfy chair that I can read, write, watch TV, sleep, and lounge in
* I am thankful that my husband has his own comfy chair beside mine
* I am thankful for summer fun
* I am thankful that school is getting ready to start again
* I am thankful for my online friends who encourage me more than they know
* I am thankful that I know the One who holds my future in His hands
* And I am thankful for chocolate cake!
Do you need a pick-me-up today? Click on the Mandisa link above…or have some chocolate cake…or maybe simply count your blessings. By the time you “name them one by one” your mood will surely be lifted! 🙂
What are you thankful for today?