My daughter turns 13 today (as you’ve already heard…), and it’s time to P-A-R-T….Y??? Because we gotta!!! We don’t do a big party for our kids every year, but this year is special. So we are pulling out all the stops. In our house, “pulling out all the stops” means the biggest, most creative, do-it-yourself party ever known to man. Nothing has changed about our finances so renting a skating rink or restaurant might be easier but it’s totally out of the question. So with less money comes great creativity! We decided to focus on what we DO have rather than what we don’t. We have a basement. We have fun Christian music. We have time. We have black lights. We have a party waiting to happen!
Time for a Glow-In-The-Dark Party!
1. Dollar Tree is selling glow bracelets, necklaces, hats, wands, & glow sticks in packs of 2 or 3 for a dollar! Decorations, party favors, games & activities taken care of for $12
2. I don’t have time to plan a party AND clean the basement….solution: turn off all the lights and call it “Glow in the Dark”! No one will notice the dirt on the floor or the clutter in the corners with the lights off. 🙂
3. Did you know that clear liquid laundry detergent glows in black light? We are planning on putting several small bowls of laundry soap out in front of a mirror so the girls can paint themselves in the black light while pre-treating their clothes for the laundry! (since it’s clear we don’t have to worry about it staining…plus it washes off easily and has a really cool bluish-purple glowing color when applied to your skin)
4. Another fun glowing substance is tonic water. It tastes kinda like 7-up and glows bluish-purple in black light. A liter of it is less than a dollar and can be added to the usual 2-liter drinks to make them glow, too! Planning on serving this in clear plastic cups with frozen tonic water ice cubes (that is, if I can find anyone who has ice trays I can borrow…).
5. Our favorite Christian dance music (is that an oxymoron?) comes from PureNRG, the Rubyz, TobyMac, Lecrae, & Jump 5 (I know they’re sorta old-school according to today’s standards…but I found their CD on sale and it brought back great memories of my teenage years). I love that my daughter loves music…I love even more that she loves Christian music! What a fun way to teach her freedom in Christ by having a dance-off to “We Shine”?! I might have to teach her some of my patented moves…
We are looking forward to having a great time with Mykaela and her friends tonight…hoping some of her friends are able to come tonight…praying some of her friends are coming tonight…but it is Labor Day weekend…and these are pre-teen/teenagers we are talking about… I guess if we need to, Jeff & I can put on some neon and get our dance on… good thing it’s gonna be dark… 🙂