I’ve been struggling to get back to writing on my blog. It’s been busy and my creativeness (and free time) has gone towards writing programs, planning outreach events, and keeping a good connection with my girls as they grow & mature. However, I miss writing! So, I’m easing back into the blog thing by focusing on my 30 days of thankfulness that some friends and I have been doing on Facebook. I’ve participated in this online “event” for several years now, and thoroughly enjoy it. It’s where you take each day of the month of November to post one thing you’re thankful for on your Facebook status. It’s a great way to focus on the positive and publicly draw attention to the people and things you are most thankful for. But…being the perfectionist that I tend to be…I turned my days of thankfulness into a stressful project. “Who should I be thankful for today? Who should come first? Did I mention God enough or should I make sure people know I’m thankful for God every day? If I mention my oldest child before my youngest, will her feelings be hurt? If I mention being thankful for my current church people will my former church people be offended? If I talk about being thankful for material things will people think I have my priorities wrong?” All those thoughts running through my head every morning as I stare at my Facebook page makes me feel…well…not very thankful. 🙂
So this year I changed it up. This year I’m assuming that everyone knows that I am thankful for God, my salvation, my husband, my kids, my parents/siblings/in-laws/friends/church etc. Since all the “big” categories are under the umbrella of “These-things-are-super-important-and-I’m-always-thankful-for-them-so-I’m-not-gonna-list-them-this-year” it frees me up to give thanks for all the small, random things that pop in my head….and it takes away the stress of wondering what people think of my status on Facebook…’cause we all know how vitally important to the spiritual state of the world a person’s FB status is! 🙂
So, for the next few days I would like to share with you some of my Random Things I’m Thankful For…in no particular order:
- Random Things I’m Thankful For- Day #1: Music- waking up to “Praise God from whom all blessings flow…” is much more pleasant than waking to a buzzing alarm!
- Random Things I’m Thankful For- Day #2: I’m thankful for Fridays! Knowing that Jeff and I get to spend the day together doing what we want… no meetings, no laundry, no “shop talk”, no stress… helps me get through even the busiest of weeks! And breakfast with my in-laws makes it extra good! 🙂
- Random Things I’m Thankful For- Day #3: I’m thankful for a small town school where my daughter can play basketball even though she wasn’t a professional ball player at age 10 and even though we don’t have thousands of dollars for fancy equipment. I’m thankful for a great group of girls and parents who make up her team, always supporting and encouraging each other. AND I’m especially thankful for great coaches who patiently guide & teach our girls…and who don’t yell at them…even when they want to! 🙂 Thanks Coach Chad & Coach Wilson!
- Random Things I’m Thankful For- Day 4: Really thankful for the extra hour we were given last night! I had to stay up late finishing writing the Christmas program (since practice starts today…nothing like waiting til the last minute), but even staying up as late as I did, I’m not exhausted! Woke up feeling refreshed and ready to worship & serve our Lord with all I am today!
- Random Things I’m Thankful For- Day 5: I’m thankful for Sundays~ a whole day dedicated to worship & rest! Yesterday was certainly full…but full of GOOD things! Good SS discussion, lots of help during children’s church, a fabulously fun time at the Secret Sister party & more laughs that I can recount at Christmas program practice! What a GREAT day! 🙂
- Random Things I’m Thankful For- Day #6: Thankful for technology which makes the world smaller! I can call my mom & sisters on their cell phone and talk for hours without worrying about drastic long distance charges. I can text people about random thoughts no matter what time it is or how far away they are. And I can count as friends many other women in ministry across the world! Thank You, Lord, for making people smart & creative enough to invent the things we need to keep in touch and stay connected to the people we love! 🙂
- Random Things I’m Thankful For- Day 7: Late Start Wednesdays at HCHS. I love getting to spend the morning eating donuts, drinking YooHoos, and discussing life with my girl before she goes to school! What a precious gift of time from an unexpected source 🙂
- Random Things I’m Thankful For- Day 8: $0.99 milk at Rulers Food Store! It’s almost the end of the week and we still have enough milk in the fridge to justify my drinking an entire (medium-sized) glass of milk with my breakfast today without concern for making it stretch until Sunday cereal night! Even better? It’s whole milk so it totally feels like Christmas morning! 🙂
- Random Things I’m Thankful For- Day 9: I’m thankful my mom has learned how to post pics on Facebook so I can keep up with how much the new babies are growing! 🙂 Such cuties!
Random Things I’m Thankful For- Day 10: Thankful for the beautiful sunshine! Even though I’m currently enjoying it through my window as I do my work…it still is brightening my day! 🙂This list will be continued soon…but in the meantime…what random things are you thankful for?